Press Release: 2 April 2014
This Saturday 5th April, 101 Vagina Exhibition and Book Launch
After months of planning, the 101 Vagina Exhibition and Book Launch are upon us.
L.A.’s Think Tank Gallery in the heart of Downtown’s Fashion District will host the official book launch and inaugural exhibition of 101 Vagina in the USA after a hugely successful launch and four exhibitions in Australia.
101 Vagina Exhibition and Book Launch
Sat 5th to Sun 13th April, 2014. Open daily 12-8pm
Saturday 5th April, 6-9pm
Think Tank Gallery
939 Maple Ave #200
The opening night events will include:
- Official Book Launch of 101 Vagina in USA
- Exhibition of all 101 photos and 101 messages from the 101 Vagina book
- Speeches by project creator Philip Werner and renowned sexuality educators
- A Vagina Crafternoon where people can make their own vagina art
- Listening station. Hear several women read out their vagina messages from the book
- Other local artists vagina art in various mediums.
On top of this, various events have been planned for the week that 101 Vagina is in town.
- Sat 5th April, 6-9pm: Book Launch and Exhibition Opening night.
- Wed 9th April, 8pm: Pozible crowdfunding workshop. I will share his experiences of crowdfunding $20,000 needed to self publish and print 101 Vagina in Australia
- Thu 10th April, 6-11pm: 101 Vagina will be part of LA Art Walk
- Sat 12th April, 6-8pm: Book signing and meet the artist
- Sat 12th April, 8-9pm: Photo shoot for 101 Penis & 101 Breasts
- Sun 13th April: 1-3pm: Art school discussion group around vaginas in art.
- Sun 13th April 4-6pm: Women’s group discussing body image, vaginas and labiaplasty.
101 Vagina is about breaking down the taboo around vaginas and body image shame generally. It confronts the lies we are told about what’s normal and celebrates our uniqueness and diversity. 101 Vagina is also about the sharing of story, of experience; the passing down of knowledge and wisdom.
This book contains 101 beautiful black and white photos of 101 women, along with a message, story or poem written by each woman to accompany their photo. The messages are candid and span the spectrum of emotions. They are raw and honest and form a small compendium of women’s experiences with their bodies and womanhood in general, with a focus on the vagina.
101 Vagina is light and profound, cheeky and deep.
After L.A, the exhibition will be visiting San Francisco (19-27 April), Montreal (17-25 May), New York (3-8 June) and finishing in Toronto (14-22 June). An exhibition in London, UK will follow in August.
Review copies of 101 Vagina are available on request. 101 Penis and 101 Breasts are also in the making.
Philip Werner – firstname.lastname@example.org